Monday, October 29, 2012

A Scary Halloween Tale

We have some neighbors who go all out for Halloween. They always do something grand. One year, they decorated their boat and dressed up as skeleton pirates. Another year, they had a “Nightmare Before Christmas” theme, complete with dead Christmas trees collected the previous January. At the very least, they do a haunted tunnel which kids have to brave before getting any candy. My daughter used to be afraid of this house on Halloween, even though she knows these neighbors. A couple of years ago, however, she decided to brave the scary tunnel. She was ready, she said. She was 5 years old.

I was unsure, of course. I knew the tunnel would be full of fake spider webs, spooky sounds and people in scary masks. I knew it would be too scary for her but she insisted. We walked up to the entrance three or four times and each time she chickened out. After each balk, however, she changed her mind and we walked back. Finally, I told her she had to go through or go home.  It was getting late and it was a school night. That was the push she needed (much to my chagrin) and the two of us entered the tunnel.

I will never forget the sight of my little one, all decked out in her sparkly, pink princess-riding-a-unicorn costume stepping into that dark, scary tunnel. She looked so innocent and so vulnerable against that menacing backdrop. I knew what was coming but there was nothing I could do to stop it.

As soon as we entered, she was scared. About half-way through, she started crying and I felt like the world’s worst mother for agreeing to this. Fortunately, one of the scary monsters understood what was happening. He took off his mask and tried to comfort her. Then, he ran ahead, telling the others not to jump out and scare the little one. I really appreciated that. I hope I thanked him… if not, “Thanks, Jeremy!”

We made it through, my daughter got her candy and I gave her lots of love as she cried and told me how scary the experience had been. When she gained her composure, we walked out from behind the tunnel. Some of the other neighbors cheered for her and made a big deal about how brave she was. That lifted her spirits a little bit. I still felt awful.

As we walked home, she recounted the experience, adding the occasional “I will NEVER do that again!” By the time we got home, however, she changed her mind. Not only was she going through it again the next year, but she also wanted to be scary like the big kids in the tunnel. I did not want that at all. I liked my adorable sparkly princess girl and it just seemed way too early for her to be anything else. I hoped she would forget about being scary by the time the next Halloween rolled around.

She did not forget. The next year, she decided to be a vampire because vampires are scary. My heart ached over the fact that my sweet little one had crossed some sort of threshold. No more cute costumes. It would be nothing but horror and gore from here on out. The vampire costume was just the beginning - a gateway to a dark, empty soul full of…. Well… stuff that makes good mommies worry.

Oh, if only I had said “No” when she asked to go into that tunnel!

The vampire costume consisted of a Gothic dress, fangs and a long black wig. She was thrilled with her new, scary look. She showed us her best vampire impersonation. Not surprisingly, she did not know what vampires do, exactly. So she just tried look scary which was kind of cute, actually.

After about ten minutes, she tired of the fangs and took them out.

The wig lasted about an hour.

In the end, the scary vampire was just a pretty blonde child in a Gothic dress. And while I fretted over the loss of innocence brought on by switching from cute to scary Halloween costumes (and blamed myself, of course, for this loss), she was simply having fun and collecting a lot of candy along the way. Furthermore, she was still her sweet, fun and adorable self. 

In other words, the walk through the scary tunnel and her choice of Halloween costume had not changed her in any way. She was FINE.

Maybe I over reacted…..

This year, she wants to be a cheetah. It is 100% her choice and it expresses both her love of animals and her creativity. I am back in my comfort zone since Cheetahs are not at all scary – unless you are a gazelle or a zebra. Not only that, it is a homemade costume and she helped me paint the spots on it. All is right in the world again. 

Except, she wants to be a Rock Star next year….

Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment