Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My Challah Adventure

For Easter, this year I decided to make Challah, a traditional Jewish bread made for the Sabbath and holidays. I first learned about Challah while reading A Year of BiblicalWomanhood by Rachel Held Evans (a book I highly recommend). I was drawn to the fact that making Challah is a form of worship. In order to do it right, you have to separate a portion, bless it and burn it as an offering, based on this passage from the book of Numbers:

“The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to the Israelites and say to them: After you come into the land to which I am bringing you, whenever you eat of the bread of the land, you shall present a donation to the Lord. From your first batch of dough you shall present a loaf as a donation; you shall present it just as you present a donation from the threshing floor. Throughout your generations you shall give to the Lord a donation from the first of your batch of dough.”

The recipe I used belongs to an orthodox Jewish woman who makes this every week. You can find it here (with some background) and here. Along with the recipe, she provides instructions on how much dough to separate, what to say when, etc. I have made bread before but I would not call myself an expert bread maker. Still, this seemed like something I could handle. The recipe is HUGE (5 lbs of flour, 7 eggs, etc.) and even though I cut it in half, it made three good sized loaves. Other than the large volume of dough, however, it is not difficult to make. You blend the ingredients, let it rise overnight, braid the dough, let it rise again and then bake. I put it together Friday night, let it rise overnight, then baked it Saturday morning. It worked out great.

The portion that gets burned is called “Challah.” That is where the bread gets its name. You separate a good sized handful of dough from the rest after the first rise (the overnight one). Then, you say a blessing. The one suggested in the recipe goes like this:

“Blessed are you, Lord our God, king of the universe, who has blessed us with his commandments and commanded us regarding the separation of Challah.”

I read the blessing out loud. Then I added Psalm 51:10-12:

“Create in me a clean heart, Oh God and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence and take not your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and uphold me with your free spirit.”

It is more of a prayer than a blessing but it has been bouncing around in my head for a while. This seemed like a good time to use it. I shaped my Challah into a roll then put it into the oven while I braided the rest of the dough and set it to rise. I figured that would be plenty of time to burn it to a crisp.



The hardest part for me was the braiding. There are many different ways to braid Challah – some quite elaborate. I decided to stick with two of the more traditional (and basic) braids. One was linear – the standard Sabbath braid. The other was round – traditionally done at Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year). I rolled the third loaf into cinnamon rolls that I planned to serve for breakfast Easter morning. I figured nothing says, “Happy Easter!” like cinnamon rolls that require a burnt offering to make!





The two bread loaves looked lovely when they came out of the oven, although a little over browned.  The cinnamon rolls did not fare as well. They ranged from over cooked to flat out burnt. In keeping with the spirit of the recipe, I called the crispiest ones “challah,” said a quick prayer and threw them away. Then, the three of us tried one of the remaining rolls. The flavor was not bad - just tough from over cooking. I might give these another try but I need to remember to cook them only about half as long as the bread.



On Easter morning, I cut into one of my Challah loaves. The bread was thick and chewy but flavorful and delicious. It was so good that my husband and I ate half the loaf for breakfast. Making Challah did not have quite the spiritual impact that I was hoping for, but I still enjoyed the process. It was a chance to experience a tradition from another culture, as well as learn something new. But what makes any homemade loaf of bread special is the act of making it, eating it and sharing it with your family. In that regard, this experiment was a complete success. I will definitely make this again – Challah and all.

Might not cook it so long next time, though.



Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment