Thursday, December 5, 2013

Celebrating Christmas during Advent and Vice Versa

I have a friend who is Romanian. Her daughter (born in October) was christened November 30. My friend commented that she was worried about having a Christening during Advent, which starts November 15 in the Romanian church. In Romania, Advent is observed the same as Lent. In fact, the same word is used for both seasons and both last for forty days. Like Lent, Advent is marked by reflection and repentance. A Romanian Christening, on the other hand, is a massive celebration. The church service alone lasts a couple of hours. Then, the party that follows the service lasts late into the night with eating, drinking and dancing – not to mention family from EVERYWHERE. This sort of joyful gathering is inappropriate during Advent, according to Romanian custom. Joyful celebrations are best left for the Christmas Season (December 24- January 5). That is when Romanians feast and party.

The timing of the event did not seem to bother too many people, however, as there were plenty of Romanians in attendance – and plenty of Țuică, a potent homemade liquor, at the reception.

Still, my friend’s comment got me thinking. It seems that here in the US we do Christmas and Advent backwards. As in the Romanian church, Advent is supposed to be a time of reflection and repentance. It is supposed to be a time of preparation, where we make ourselves ready for the birth of Christ. Instead, we spend Advent celebrating Christmas with holiday music, decorations and parties. Then, on December 26, we pack up the decorations and go back to work. Party’s over. Christmas is over.  

- Except Christmas actually lasts for 12 days – not just one.

I remember singing Christmas carols in church after December 25 and thinking that was odd when I was a kid. As I got older, I learned that Christmas lasts until January 5 in the church. I also learned that Advent is a time for prayer and preparation - not celebrating - but that did not change how my family (or anyone else I knew) did Christmas. It was not until I spent a year in Norway as an exchange student that I finally got it. During Advent that year, the only decorations at our house were a star in a window and an Advent Wreath. We did not put up Christmas Decorations until the morning of Christmas Eve because Christmas did not officially start until 5:00 pm when the local cathedral rang their bells at the conclusion of their Christmas Eve service. At that point, we started feasting and did not stop until January 5. There were parties, sing-a-longs and guests coming over for coffee throughout the 12 days of the Christmas season. The fireworks on New Year’s Eve were only part of the celebrations – not a standalone thing. It was intense, a lot of fun and REALLY fattening.

I missed that when I came back to the U.S. but I continued celebrate Christmas American style for many years.

Last year, I made a serious effort to observe Advent. I made a (less than elegant) Advent wreath, which we lit each Sunday as we read Advent devotions as a family. I tried to focus on the meaning of the season through all the hustle and bustle. I tried to remember that Advent is part of a bigger story and not just the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried to spend more time in prayer and reflection – not that I was always successful – and I counted my blessings often. I found that the calm of Advent was a great way to counter the zing of Christmas. 

This year, there is another (less than elegant) Advent wreath on my coffee table. The Advent devotion book is back out and getting a lot of use. I try to find time each day to reflect and pray, although I still struggle with that. I am learning meditation, which will hopefully help. I am still feeling my way though it but I figure that is OK. I can be a work in progress since the season is all about preparing.

In addition to my present focus on Advent, I plan to celebrate Christmas for the entire Christmas season (December 24 - January 5) instead of just one day. It will not be the full-on extravaganza of the Norwegians or Romanians, but it will be Christmas. I will keep the tree up and the Christmas music going, for one thing. I will also continue baking cookies and playing games with the family. I want to visit friends and fill my days with laughter and joy. I might do a Christmas Calendar – like and Advent Calendar but with a surprise for each of the twelve days of Christmas. Maybe I will bake a cake for Three Kings Day. I have not worked out all the details, yet, since this is something completely new for me. This will be a new tradition with my family so I expect it to be fun, exciting and involve a lot of tweaking and learning.

It is not yet Christmas, however. It is so easy to forget that we are still in Advent. As fun as it is to think about Christmas, I will light a candle (two on Sunday), take a deep breath and remember that Advent is the quiet before the storm. It is not just the month between our two biggest holidays; it is a wonderful season in itself. Christmas is coming and it will be crazy and fun and great, but now is time to rest, prepare and reflect. Enjoy it.


Happy Advent, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment